Rock Solid Toys Forum

Go Back   RockSolidToys Toyota Solid Axle Swap & 4X4 Forum Facebook > Toyota Solid Axle Swaps > Late Tacoma '05+ / FJ Cruiser / Late Hilux / 4th Gen 4Runner 2003 to 2009

Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 AM

Default Rear Driveline

My rig has the 2 piece shaft without a crawl box, which is too long for a single piece shaft. Seems like the shudder upon takeoff has gotten worse so I thought I'd post up what I'm doing to attempt solving it. Most of my problem I believe is coming from the carrier bearing, so I ordered a cushioned poly bearing from Empire, disassembled the shaft, and replaced all the joints with new Spicers. The bearing is slightly different when it comes to lining up with the stock holes the other stock bearing lined up with, so I'll make a bracket to fix that.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:42 PM

This is the new driveline installed. It drops the center about 2.5" lower than stock, putting the geometry almost perfect for this rig. Before I had pretty bad shutter on takeoff and vibrations could be felt with my hand on the tcase sticks. I have zero shutter on takeoff now and the only point any vibration is felt is 40-45mph and none after that going up past 80mph. I thought this may be helpful for guys having issues with driveline vibrations on trucks without a crawl box still running a 2 piece shaft.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post

This is the new driveline installed. It drops the center about 2.5" lower than stock, putting the geometry almost perfect for this rig. Before I had pretty bad shutter on takeoff and vibrations could be felt with my hand on the tcase sticks. I have zero shutter on takeoff now and the only point any vibration is felt is 40-45mph and none after that going up past 80mph. I thought this may be helpful for guys having issues with driveline vibrations on trucks without a crawl box still running a 2 piece shaft.

Should've just gotten a 1 piece driveshaft. I have a double cab long bed and it sits about the same as the stock shaft with 1" spacers on center support bearing. no vibes at all.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM

I did not want to go that route for a few different reasons.
#1: a LONG single shaft is going to bend easier when (not if) if hits stuff on the trail. A shorter shaft will not
#2: I have another spare 2 piece shaft
#3: after hitting and dinging a single shaft it will vibrate until it's replaced. I've dinged many 2 piece shafts and the cushioned center soaks up the difference.

I agree with you if I wanted to build another single piece shaft and purchase another double cardan for the output end
Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 PM

I hate to say it, but that looks like it is begging to be destroyed by a rock. Hopefully its just the camera angles in the pictures...
Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerRay View Post
I hate to say it, but that looks like it is begging to be destroyed by a rock. Hopefully its just the camera angles in the pictures...
Must be the angle, cause it's not that much lower than it was. Ran the same trails I normally run with zero contacts on rocks and zero issues with the 3 hr drive to/from the trail.