Rock Solid Toys Forum

Go Back   RockSolidToys Toyota Solid Axle Swap & 4X4 Forum Facebook > Newbee! > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Tranny Frank

Default Re: Toyota steering knuckle grease,

Howdy folks, I have been working on the subject of lubrication for this enclosed steering axle,

I have found that there is a semi fluid grease that is used in these applications from production,

The aftermarket generally views this as axle seal failure, more often than not it isnt,

And if leakage occurs at this knuckle, grease incompatibility is the cause,

The is a site called the4x4network that goes into great detail about this grease,

The lube is available thru Novak adapt,

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...kle_repair.htm

Although for promotional purposed I have allotted some funds and grease and will ship some of this 'Trade Secret" grease to a Solid axle swapper to use in a axle,

If you wish to call me a idiot, liar, or something of that nature sign up on the4x4network, I paid a website just for that it seems,

But if you want to make positive inquiries , comments, questions, I will be more than happy,

So if someone wishes to give this a try, and comment on it, I will send them a sample,

Frank
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Tell me about this lubricant. I didn't know that anyone was putting non factory compatable grease in these knuckles. Seeing as Toyota specifies a NLGI grade 2 Lithium grease, are people putting calcium or aluminum complex grease in these knuckles?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Tranny Frank

Default link to the 4x4network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lindstrom View Post
Tell me about this lubricant. I didn't know that anyone was putting non factory compatable grease in these knuckles. Seeing as Toyota specifies a NLGI grade 2 Lithium grease, are people putting calcium or aluminum complex grease in these knuckles?
http://www.the4x4network.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Thanks for the Reply Bob, the link there is to a forum that I rented space to discuss this form of grease,

Now there is a ton of crap in there but some good info as well,

Now in a nutshell Toyota does specifies a # 2 lithium grease for this application

However they are not filled with this from the factory

Basically as hard as it is to believe I have found there are two completely different types of Toyota

Toyota Motor Sales USA specs a #2 lithium grease

TOYOTA JIDOSHA KABUSHIKI KAISHA TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION

Fills them with a semifluid sodium based grease,

Crazy I know but got to tell it how it is,,
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM

I am not going to go to another site to discuss or research something that you have brought up here. That is ridiculous.

That is odd. I have a Toyota that came from the factory with a thick grease. I know this because I have been working on it for 27 years, since it was new. You are correct, there are two different divisions of Toyota, but Toyota Motor Sales Inc. uses specs set by the engineers who designed the vehicle, so this point is moot.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Tranny Frank

Default 'Thick Grease"

Quote:
I am not going to go to another site to discuss or research something that you have brought up here. That is ridiculous.

That is odd. I have a Toyota that came from the factory with a thick grease. I know this because I have been working on it for 27 years, since it was new. You are correct, there are two different divisions of Toyota, but Toyota Motor Sales Inc. uses specs set by the engineers who designed the vehicle, so this point is moot.
Bob,

Describe this "Thick grease"

It is quite possible that #1 grade grease could be used in certain applications,

But not a #2 lithium based chassis grease, simply not suitable for this application,

This came up on the4x4network, the moderator posted info from ALLDATA
Their information stated to use a "Suitable grease " in this application

I called them and asked if they could expound on that just a tad, told the Rep what I was working on,
He looked at the Toyota Sales recommendation for lube and

So simply put the Thick grease you see in your Toyota is it #1 grade

Could be and that is a suitable grease

So, Bob need to be a tad bit more precise on your "Thick grease"

May be #1 grade, and could be used in some applications but from what I have found
Semi fluid, not a thick grease, in these axles,
Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Most definately not an NLGI grade 1. It was a grade 2. I have been a mechanic for 40 years, I can tell the difference easily.

As for Alldata, they go by manufacturer spec. They don't know the difference between the grades. The people you talk to there are only there to answer phones.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Tranny Frank

Default Why not Bob ?

What???

You asked about information about this grease, I have been deprogramming a Toyota Sales trained tech over there

Just about any possible question has been addressed, about the axle design itself,
Grease,

So what is ridiculous is you faining interest,

So if interested read it, if your convinced that factory fill is a #2 lithium chassis grease,

Brainwashed,
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Tranny Frank

Default Give it 40 years

Quote:
Most definately not an NLGI grade 1. It was a grade 2. I have been a mechanic for 40 years, I can tell the difference easily.

As for Alldata, they go by manufacturer spec. They don't know the difference between the grades. The people you talk to there are only there to answer phones.
Sure grease grade is easy to determine,

So in your 40 years cranking on rigs How many times have you seen a #2 grease in a CV joint?

I have been at for 20, rebuilt many axles from many different manufactures,

#1 grade or thinner lube in all CV joints,, and with 40 years background, you should know all about this stuff Bob

Maybee just a bit before your time though, if I talk to retired mechanixs 60 plus years old,

Know all about this stuff,,,,

So far "Bob" your posting like a Toyota propagandist not a 40 year veteran of rig cranking,,,
Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Frank View Post

What???

You asked about information about this grease, I have been deprogramming a Toyota Sales trained tech over there

Just about any possible question has been addressed, about the axle design itself,
Grease,

So what is ridiculous is you faining interest,

So if interested read it, if your convinced that factory fill is a #2 lithium chassis grease,

Brainwashed,
Wow. I don't want to go to another site to read about something you brought up on this site. I am not faining interest, I just thought you might have some info to put forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Frank View Post
Sure grease grade is easy to determine,

So in your 40 years cranking on rigs How many times have you seen a #2 grease in a CV joint?

I have been at for 20, rebuilt many axles from many different manufactures,

#1 grade or thinner lube in all CV joints,, and with 40 years background, you should know all about this stuff Bob

Maybee just a bit before your time though, if I talk to retired mechanixs 60 plus years old,

Know all about this stuff,,,,

So far "Bob" your posting like a Toyota propagandist not a 40 year veteran of rig cranking,,,
Yes, I have seen a grade 2 grease in CV joints. I am aware of the grease you are talking about. It is similar to what was used in early axles that are similar to Toyota axles. Toyota changed a lot about this axle design though. A matter of importance about sodium based greases, is that they are rarely used these days. They haven't been used in quite a number of years because more modern greases are a better fit. I don't know what 60+ year old mechanics told you this grease was in Toyota axles, but they are wrong. Maybe they are confusing the Toyota axle with earlier axles of the same style. Most of which where converted to lithium based greases. This process was simple, remove all of the crappy sodium grease and replace it with lithium.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Tranny Frank, I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it isn't correct.
Are you trying to say that the toyotas CAME with sodium stuff in them? Stuff that ISN'T thick? I'm trying to determine what it is you mean by "semi fluid". I've had a few of the little toyotas apart, and I've seen pretty thick stuff in all of them. I wouldn't call it "semi fluid" at all.
Grease goes in scales, from thin, say #00 or #000 to thick, say #4, #6 etc, with it being almost a thick oil at the bottom, up the the stuff that's like a block of hard soap at the top. Automotive uses generally stick around the #1 and #2 these days.
Bob up there is correct, there's a bunch of c.v. joints out there that had #2's and even #3's in them, along with others perhaps as low as #0, there's no hard and fast law on that, besides some of the arctic rigs generally run a thinner grease. A snow cat with too heavy a grease is a pain to get going at 60 below before wind chill
Is the novak stuff you linked to the stuff you have, or just something like it? The jug in the picture on that site says #1, is that your definition of semi fluid?
Closed Thread

Tags
guessing, liar, never had this axle apart, nigerian lotto scam, shim