Rock Solid Toys Forum

Go Back   RockSolidToys Toyota Solid Axle Swap & 4X4 Forum Facebook > Toyota Solid Axle Swaps > Late Tacoma '05+ / FJ Cruiser / Late Hilux / 4th Gen 4Runner 2003 to 2009

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Default 2005 Tacoma SAS

Alrighty well I just joined here for those who arent following on any other boards, I am about to start the SAS of my 2005 Tacoma Double Cab sport. Heres a condensded version:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...cosupreme.html

It started out stock and then went long travel, dual ARB's, tubbed fenders, etc.

Well now its getting Dana 60's.

Rear is a Ford housing, GLO disc brackets, ARB with 4.56's, Durasolid 35 spline chromo shafts, Trail-Gear triple drilled flange, ballistic cover

Front is a 79 Ford Kingpin, 4.56's, spartan locker, Ballistic shave kit and cover, Yukon Kingpin rebuild, C&M Ampco Bronze Kingpin Bushings, Chassis Unlimitied high-steer arms, Yukon 35 spline inner and outers, Yukon Hardcore locking hubs, East coast spindle bushings, sky offroad double drilled flange

Inchworm Tacoma Dual Case

Psc hydro assist

Blah Blah.

Truck started this go around like this:

Last edited by NwiTACO; 05-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Now:

Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Crawler install:

First up was to remove the tcase skid:

Then removed the crossmember, tranny support, and tcase:

Transmission to Gear-drive adaptor marked and being drilled out:

Tailhousing removed from transmission and bearing and seal removed from it:

Tailhousing back on tranny, minus bearing and seal, with coupler on tranny output:

New extension and seal installed over coupler:

Crawlbox installed:

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Hole in tranny tunnel for shifter:

First shot at the shifter, I cut the stock lever off the "ball" and drilled it out to insert a piece of 3/8" dia CRS. Welded the top of the joint and a plug weld through the side...its solid.

Reassembled shifter and installed in the truck, marked and bent the jog. Then cut the rod to length. Beveled the end of the 3/8" rod and the end of a piece of an M12 bolt and welded them together, an filed them smooth.

I was happy with how it fit, but not thrilled.

So I have this problem in life of not leaving "well enough" alone. I reinstalled my shifter for the crawlbox and wasn't happy with the height or with the little bit of "slopo" the shifter had too it. Back out it came.

First I removed " of height from the lever. Easy enough. Cut out a section of rod, bevel both end, weld, file smooth, paint.

Next was to remove the side-to-side slop in the shifter. Dropped a little bead onto the side of the shifter "tang" and filed smooth. Test fit, repeat until desired fit is achieved.

Its hard to tell from the blurry pic, but I added material to the right side of the tang, about 3/64" of material.

Then to eliminate some of the front-to-back slop I repeated this process on the front of the "tang" as well.

Material was added to the top of the tang in the picture, then re-filed to profile.

***NOTE: The shifter components are hardened so I used caution not to overheat them, and quenched in an ice bath immediately after welding in an attempt retain some hardening properties. Modify yours at your own risk, if you ruin your shifter do not blame me.

Re-installed the center console, grinding away the lower edge of the coin slot to remove only the bottom as I will utilize the sides to attach some rubber flaps to seal the shifter slot.

Crawlbox HI

Crawlbox LO

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM

So last week I ordered a shift boot off ebay, about the only one I could find all in black that I figured would work was for a Nissan 240z, cheap enough at $12.00 so I figured heck with it.

Stuck the boot through from the backside:

Made a few retainers from some aluminum strip...

Test fit

Added some #6 machine screws

Trimmed the excess material:

Then I trimmed off the excess machine screw shanks as well to clear the Tranny shift mechanism next to it.

I still have a rubber boot to install at the tunnel opening to seal from water and debris. It from an '62-'67 MGB
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Got a nice box in the mail too:

Johny joints for the lowers, 7/8" Heim upper, Flat pitman arm :smokin:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

cool! nice job on the shifter boot too
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Very nice job. Looks good man.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” Mark Twain.

"It's simple to study for years and then copy what others have done. But it takes courage to go out and do what others haven't, and then succeed!" Wyatt
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

great Build...keep it coming.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM

Are those rhinestones on that shifter knob? Please, say it ain't so. And to think, they give me the shit for a little gold paint.