Rock Solid Toys Forum

Go Back   RockSolidToys Toyota Solid Axle Swap & 4X4 Forum Facebook > Drivetrain > Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, Crawl Box, Axles

Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Default Installing an FJ Cruiser T case in an '05+ Tacoma

NOTE: First off let me give you a heads up. If you have a six speed tacoma and you want to put the fj case in your truck, do not try to get an fj case from a six spd fj. First off they are a full time case and second they are longer than the Auto case because they have a center differential. So not only will you have drive line issues, but you'll also have to figure out how the get that center diff to work in your Tacoma. Not a fun proposition.

This install of an FJ Cruiser Manual shifting T case is going behind a Marlin Crawler Taco Box. With the exception of this the install is pretty much straight forward.

Many of you have wondered why Toyota didn't go with a manual case in the Tacoma or provide it as an option and I'm not going to give my opinions but lets just say that for us it was a bad idea. Many have wanted to put a manual case in their '05+ Tacoma's but weren't sure how to do it or if the electronic case could be modified to go manual.

Some have tried to to make the electronic case a manual shifting case but I didn't like the final outcome of it so I stayed away from that. Instead I decided after visiting Australia and then putting a crawler in an FJ Cruiser and realizing that the case in the current over seas market Hilux and the FJ Cruiser are the same why I couldn't I put the FJ Cruiser case in my Taco.

I was tired of cleaning the actuator and I wanted the ability to shift in and out of 2wd 4wd without messing with a dial switch.

So what did it take? First I needed to find an FJ Case and luckily we had one that was sitting in the shop forever just collecting dust. So I took that one and started working on my new project.

Here is an '05 Tacoma Case sitting in front of an FJ Cruiser case that has been modified for twin sticks. The outside of the case's are virtually identical, however the insides are completely different.

First thing you need to do is take out your old electronic case. Easy enough. Drop your drive shafts unplug the wires to the case and take out the bolts holding it to the tranny and pull it out. Pretty simple. Once it's out this is what it should look like.

This is mine when we first put the crawler in. Notice the actuator hanging off the back of it and the block off plate at the top where a shifter would go. This is the all electronically shifted t case from the '05+ Tacoma.

Now these next steps you won't have to do but I'm including them so you can see what the difference is between the FJ Case and the Taco case is.

This is the actuator from the Tacoma case.

Here is the back of the Tacoma case with the actuator off. Notice that it only has one shift rail coming from the rear of the case. This single rod controls both your 2wd/4wd and your 4lo. The actuator moves this rod back one space to engage 4wd and then it moves it back a second space to engage 4lo. Simple operation until something goes wrong.

This picture is looking into the top of the case where the shifter block off plate is. In the next picture below it you will see the top of the FJ Case and in it you'll see the shift rails at the top of the case on the inside. Vastly different from the Tacoma case. The FJ case is shifted from the top of the case with a shift lever just like your dear old grandpa's truck did. kewl Thats a good thing.

OK. so now we know the difference, it's time to get to work.

IN the Tacoma your going to have to put a hole in your floor to get the shifter to come up. If your not putting a crawler box in front of your FJ case your going to need to do a twin stick conversion on your case to give the shifter room in the spot next to your tranny shifter. Because the FJ case is a manual shifting t case it has the Toyota J shift pattern. Not a bad shifter at all it's just that the J pattern is too big for the area you have to work in. With a twin stick you can bring both shifters up in that small area and they just move forward and back independent of each other so there is room for it there. here is a link to doing the twin stick on the FJ case. Twin stick conversion for FJ case

Now your going to need to pull the shift sensors from your taco case and put them onto your new case. The FJ case has three sensors where the Tacoma case has ony two. On the FJ case on the drivers side you have the 4hi 4lo and neutral position and on the passenger side you have the 2wd 4wd position sensor. On the Tacoma you dont have a neutral position so you will be using only two of the three spots.

On the drivers side of the FJ case you'll see two sensors or spots where the sensors were. Your going to use only the forward position. This is your indicator for the 4lo light. The one to the rear will be plugged and not used. That is your neutral position.
These are the two sensors that will come off of your actuator from the Taco case.

In this picture you can see that we blocked off the neutral position switch because we are not going to use that one.

The following picture has the two sensors from the Tacoma case in the correct spots for the 4lo indicator on the drivers side and the 4wd indicator on the passenger side of the case.
Drivers side 4lo position indicator

Passenger side 4wd position indicator.

Once you've made your conversion or your putting yours in behind a crawler box and you made your hole in your floor for the sticks to come up it's time to install your case. It's pretty simple, you just bolt it back up the same way the old case was.
Here is the hole that was made for the FJ stick to come up. This is in a Tacoma with a crawler box so the shifter will come up through the rear cup holder. Your parking brake cable will need to be modified to fit this application

Coming up through the cup holder. This is the J shift pattern single shifter behind a crawler box application.

This is in an '03+ 4Runner with the twin stick application. You'll notice that the automatic tranny shifter is on the passenger side and the t case shifters are on the drivers side. This will be reversed in your Tacoma.

This is in a Tacoma with a crawler in front of it.

Now! If you have a solid axle swap in your truck you can now get rid of the front diff actuator because you don't need it anymore. However, if you have IFS still your going to need to make a switch to activate your ADD in your front diff. I'll have an update on how to do that shortly.

Once that is done the last thing you need to do is modify your shifter handle or handles to fit your truck.

This is the final picture of an FJ case in an '05+ Tacoma with the twin stick conversion. I have since made this a better shifter plate and will have those pictures up soon.

Final twin stick set up.

Six speed Tacoma with an FJ Case. Like it came from the factory that way. Or should have come from the factory this way.

If you have any questions on this install please PM me or contact me at rocksolidtoys@gmail.com

First off I would like to thank Wyatt with his help in this! The following is brought to you in a group effort from ATO and RST.

So now you've swapped in your FJC manual shift case into your Tacoma but you need to figure out all the wiring that needs to be done. Here's the answer to all your questions, there will be two variations depending on your model year Tacoma. One will be for 05-07 and the other for 08-current.

The first thing to do is locate your 4wd ECU which is tucked away above the glove box in the passenger side dash. First remove the glove box and set it aside. (pretty standard, no need for explanation I hope)

Above that will be a black cover with a single bolt in the center. You will need to remove this bolt with a 10mm socket.

Now if you lay down on your back in the floor and look up behind the dash you will see the 4wd ECU, you can identify it by the two white plugs going in the bottom.

With all the changes you've made to the drive train the 4wd ECU is no longer needed, unplug both white connectors. You can then choose to either leave the ECU in place or remove. If you choose to remove there are two phillips head screws holding the bracket to the dash.

Now to swap some wires around so the dash lights work properly. Here is where there are different variations depending on model year. Basically you will need to cut the 4wd indicator light wire, 4lo indicator light wire, 4wd sensor wire, and 4lo sensor wire then connect together.

Diagram of the two plugs removed from the ECU

05-08 Tacoma wiring
Connect 4wd sensor wire (red w/ blue stripe - B 22) to the 4wd light wire (solid red - A 19)
Connect 4lo sensor wire (yellow w/ black stripe - B 17) to the 4lo light wire (brown w/ white stripe - A 11)

08-11 Tacoma wiring
Connect 4wd sensor wire (red w/ blue stripe - B 22) to the 4wd light wire (grey w/ black stripe - A 19)
Connect 4lo sensor wire (yellow w/ black stripe - B 17) to the 4lo light wire (brown w/ white stripe - A 11)

The final step is to confirm that you have the sensors installed and connected properly at the transfer case. The 4wd sensor will go into the passenger side of the transfer case and the plug should have two wires (red w/ blue stripe and white w/ black stripe). The 4lo sensor will go into the drivers side of the transfer case, be careful though as it will go into the opening closest to the front of the truck, and the plug should have two wires (yellow w/ black stripe and white w/ black stripe).

Now you can turn on the ignition and test to make sure the dash lights work correctly when you shift the transfer case.

LEAVE BOTH CONNECTORS UNPLUGGED FROM THE 4WD ECU!

THIS NEXT SECTION IS FOR ALL OF THOSE THAT HAVE MADE THIS SWAP INTO AN IFS TRUCK.

Ok so now that you've got your dash lights working properly you need to be able to engage the ADD for the front differential. Here we will outline the simplest way to achieve this however I'm sure there are quite a few different options as far as switches go.

This writeup will describe how to wire it using a Carling DPDT Momentary switch (Double Pole Double Throw Momentary switch).

Here's a link where you can purchase such a thing. Also note that these switches will fit in the blanks in the dash.

Carling DPDT Momentary switch note: this is the switch body only, you would need to purchase a cover in the color of your choice which they also have.

All the wires you will need to tap into are located in the same two plugs you disconnected from the 4wd ECU in the previous post.

If you purchase the switch from the link above they will send a diagram that illustrates whats what for the switch connections, and will label each connection with a number. This writeup will use those numbers to correspond with each wire it connects to.

Diagram of the two plugs removed from the 4wd ECU

You will need to take the solid red wire and the black w/ white stripe wire and branch each of them into a Y, each wire will need to terminate in two separate spots on the switch.

All Tacomas 05-11

# on plug diagram - wire color - location in factory plug

1 -red - B 3
2 - purple (IGN +) - A 5
3 - black w/ white stripe - B 4
4 - black w/ white stripe - B 4
5 - white w/ black stripe (GRND -) - A 6
6 - red - B 3

The next step will be an indicator light to tell you when the ADD is "locked" or "unlocked". You can either use the indicator light that's built into the switch or wire up your own light for this.

To use the light that is built into the switch these are the terminations you'll need to make.

7 - light green w/ black - B 26
8 - purple (IGN +) - A 5

If you choose to use your own indicator light you will need to power the light with an IGN hot wire, then run the ground wire to the light green w/ black stripe wire.

Now turn on the ignition and test it out. You should be able to rock the switch one way, hold it for a few seconds until the indicator light comes on then release. The ADD is now "locked" for 4wd. Then rock the switch back the other direction and hold for a few seconds and the indicator light should go off. The ADD is now "unlocked" for 2wd.

LEAVE BOTH CONNECTORS UNPLUGGED FROM THE 4WD ECU!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Makes it look easy.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Thank you guys so much! Great info for an smooth install!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 PM

I'm just reading the electrical section thinking that if the indicator switches could be used to activate the front Diff through a relay if required, maybe even an unused dash lamp to indicate engagement if there is a switch on the diff?

Just a thought
SQVFR
Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamish VFR View Post
I'm just reading the electrical section thinking that if the indicator switches could be used to activate the front Diff through a relay if required, maybe even an unused dash lamp to indicate engagement if there is a switch on the diff?

Just a thought
SQVFR
Nope. Can't do it that way. The front diff actuator needs a momentary switch. The indicators on the dash are current on all the time until they are switched off.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Question

Hey all,
Ive been researching this with interest and thought I'd share and ask for feedback. Has anyone considered the following?
First regarding the twin stick: if you use the single stick and dont engage the ADD don't you still get 2wd low? Second I found that the FJ OEM used a siamese rubber inner boot that might work tidy neat and pretty (I can't post a pic from my I phone?). As well as a Siamese leather boot that seems a bigger base but might work? Seems to bring the TC shifter up right where I'd planned. I'm not sure how the leather boot is secured...yet. Lastly and more importantly it occured to me that it might be possible to move the 6 speed 4wd module from the FJ to the taco? I'd think that one might get lucky and the system similar and ADD same or compatable? How does the FJ 6speed system work and could it be transplanted for a more OEM finished product. Remember that I'm not the only driver so the added complexity for the family and risk of messing up the sequence is a big concern. Anyone have thoughts?
Thx SQ VFR

Last edited by Squamish VFR; 11-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamish VFR View Post
Hey all,
Ive been researching this with interest and thought I'd share and ask for feedback. Has anyone considered the following?
First regarding the twin stick: if you use the single stick and dont engage the ADD don't you still get 2wd low? Second I found that the FJ OEM used a siamese rubber inner boot that might work tidy neat and pretty (I can't post a pic from my I phone?). As well as a Siamese leather boot that seems a bigger base but might work? Seems to bring the TC shifter up right where I'd planned. I'm not sure how the leather boot is secured...yet. Lastly and more importantly it occured to me that it might be possible to move the 6 speed 4wd module from the FJ to the taco? I'd think that one might get lucky and the system similar and ADD same or compatable? How does the FJ 6speed system work and could it be transplanted for a more OEM finished product. Remember that I'm not the only driver so the added complexity for the family and risk of messing up the sequence is a big concern. Anyone have thoughts?
Thx SQ VFR

I love your dedication to this project. The shifter boots that you are referring to only come on the 6 speed FJ. The auto FJ does not have the Siamesed boot. Also, the computer for the FJ, or for that matter the Tacoma's as well will not work with this application in a Tacoma. The FJ system is too different and this swap requires that you disconnect the 4wd computer system all together.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Here's mine with the rubber FJ boot, you can see it in this pic

It turned out nice. Still trying to find a leather FJ boot to finish off the interior.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM

I am going bootless in the rear on mine for the top. Ill be having a "gate" cut out of stainless like the cardboard mock up you see in the picture.

Underneath on the front crawl shifter I used just a generic parts store rubber boot and then the Marlin dual boot in the rear.

I also used roof flashing all around to water proof and sound deaden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shift.jpg (95.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg flash.jpg (94.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Careful about not using a good shift boot. You cab can fill up with stinky gear lube fumes if you don't seal it up well and it's very difficult to make something that has to move like a shift lever gas tight. I for one hate that sulphur laden gear lube stench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked2007 View Post
I am going bootless in the rear on mine for the top. Ill be having a "gate" cut out of stainless like the cardboard mock up you see in the picture.

Underneath on the front crawl shifter I used just a generic parts store rubber boot and then the Marlin dual boot in the rear.

I also used roof flashing all around to water proof and sound deaden.

Tags
2nd gen tacoma, dual transfer case, fj cruiser, manual shifter, marlin crawler, rock crawler, toyota, toyota tacoma, transfer case