Rock Solid Toys Forum

Go Back   RockSolidToys Toyota Solid Axle Swap & 4X4 Forum Facebook > Early factory Based solid axle trucks > Early Toyota pickups and Hilux

Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Default Boomtacoma01's 85 Xtra Cab

I have a couple of build threads across the interweb. Thought I would share here as well.

Here is the Red Truck as I will frequently call it as I found it in Austin after a 2 year search for the right 85 Xtra Cab EFI 4x4.

The truck was in pretty awesome shape for being 25 years old. It had some goodies on it as well R151 tranny, Marlin 4.7's in a single 23spl case, AP TC skid, Marlin Rear bumper and a pretty fresh rebuild on the 22RE (about 15K) 3" springs in the front, an AAL in the rear and a good set of 33/10.5/15 BFG KM's on FJ 60 wheels

I started collecting parts:

Longs, Long Chromo hub gears, Long knuckle ball wipers, Knuckle rebuild kit, TG knuckle ball gussets,TG Rock Rings, IFS box mount, TG shock hoops, Marlin Hi-steer, Marlin Wheel Spacers, Marlin Front winch bumper, Marlin front spring hanger, Marlin u-bolt flip kits, Marlin front axle truss, Marlin extended brake lines, full set o Marlin Eco-Seals, FROR bumper stiffener, Warn M8000, 4" front leaf pack, Sky 63" hanger kit, Diff armor, Sky rear shock hoop, a set of 63's, HP front 3rd, G2 5.29's F/R, Detroits F/R, IFS steering box from an 86 PU, V6 IFS rear axle.

I will skip all the boring stuff and get to the goods..

About 4 months later I had this.

Almost 11 months later. Started driving the truck to work to start breaking in the gears. Getting ready for Texas Lonestar Jamboree..

The truck did great considering i have wheeled IFS rigs my whole life.

Wheeled and broke my rear and pinion.

At least they had warranty No more trying to catch 1st and 2nd gear w/ the 4.7's and a lot of skinny pedal. Lesson learned

Got it changed out with my spare 5.29 3rd with an Aussie:

Got back to wheeling:

And just overall had a blast besides the weather being total crap.

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 01-06-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Love those trucks. One of my favorite body styles.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” Mark Twain.

"It's simple to study for years and then copy what others have done. But it takes courage to go out and do what others haven't, and then succeed!" Wyatt
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM

I had some mods in mind after Wheeling. My wife and I were in the process of buying a house so I had my work area when I got my spacious garage.

My stash of parts:

After all of that I will concentrate on getting my duals set up with a bunch of Marlin Crawler goodies:

MC07 dual adapter
Davez Offroad Twin sticks
30 spline chromoly front output shaft upgrade
Longfield chromoly rear output shaft
Skys TC X member
4xInno TC mounts

Tore out the interior. 1st of many times

Picked up some 37's

37/12.5/15 Super Swamper SSR's

Went Wheeling at Hidden Falls outside of Austin TX

The Red truck did extremely well on and off the road. I averaged about 20 mpg running 65 and loaded down which is better than I can say for my 09 Tacoma.I had to dodge some of the wildfires that are plaguing TX right nw on the way home and a really nasty headwind from the Hurricane that was in the Gulf. I did and thats all there is to it.

I only had one little problem at the park. when I reinstalled my TC shifter I didnt have the shift rails in the right configuration so my 4WD wasnt working at all. I got that remedied and whelled the piss out of the red truck and had a blast!!

Heading down the highway in front of Toyminator and El Diablo

Toyminator on the highway

Chillin on the side of US 71 after both the tow rigs had some issues in the heat.

Following John (El Diablo)

First trail of the day

Had to winch up (no 4WD yet)

Entrance to Axle Buster

Cooling off in the shade

My rock lights looked pretty sweet on the top of Wildcat Stairway

another trail in a creekbed

The red truck did well on just about any trail. I took it on 4's and 5's all day and night long.

I couldn't have been any happier for the first real shakedown.

The only carnage from the weekend was breaking a spring in the Driver side lock out and toasting the worn out carrier bearing (drive line support) which needed replacing before the run.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM

My dog Tank decided to hop up into the truck with me after I got finished putting the dash/speedo cluster back in. He loves the Red truck. Sadly we lost him Last July to Cancer.

I finally got around to at least starting on the IFS caliper and FJ vented rotor swap.

Upgraded audio:

Alpine 103BT HU
Alpine inline 4 ch amp 45x4 RMS
Eclipse 4" in the dash and Boston 6x9's in the rear.

I added 2 additional lights on the front bumper

Pics of the Alpine HU and front lights.

Started on My Duals:

TC crawlbox all nice and clean

The difference between a stock Toyota 21 spline input and a MC 23 spline replacement

Started tearing into my other transfer case last night. Replaced the broken front output. Cleaned it out since the PO obviously like playing in the mud. Decided to go with the Longfield rear output due to price and availability of stock replacement parts.

New parts taken off 2nd case

My mess in front of the bench

Parts from the first TC

This made the disassembly a breeze!!

More parts thrown into the mix:

Davez twin sticks:

Longfield rear output:

MC-07 23spl adapter

Got my crawlbox sealed up and ready to go.

Davez shifter

Rear case asembled with the Davez twin sticks

Have all the parts in for my rear disc brake conversion from Golden State Motorsports on Pirate

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034855

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

June of 2012

Rear disc brake conversion

I picked up the Golden State Motorsports Rear disc conversion that I found on Pirate. I got the kit with the Brackets and conversion fittings from the Metric 10 Toyota thread to the Banjo style needed.

The kit uses late model 4RNR rear calipers and rotors along with their bracket kit.

Got the backing plates off with the combination of a Grinder and Air cut-off tool.

Passenger rear just about done

Otro lau

Brake lines are ran over the top of the leaves and connected to the caliper. got them filled up and bled pretty well.

I test fitted one of the new steelies to check for clearance issues with the rear discs. It clears barely so it ought to work.

Got them from Summit 15x8 ProComp Rock Crawlers with 2.5 in BS Should be getting them mounted up tomorrow and Friday. I only have 2 jack stands so the spare and 2 rear tires will go on first and then the front 2 will get mounted.

Clearance pic between caliper and wheel

Rear of cab stripped with 2 layers of spray on undercoating/sound deadener

Duals Finished up!!

Finally got my duals completely assembled. Just gotta get that heavy bitch installed. I cycled through all of the multiple gear combinations. Seems and feels good. Low/low is going to be a beast! 244 to 1 !!

Good quality parts. Hopefully they work for a long time.

Ordered more parts

PSC Hydro assist

Marlin short throw shifter in last week.

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 01-06-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Hydro Assist Wrapped up

Cooler in place. The bracket for the latch support was flipped around 180 degrees to make a little needed room for the install.

I had to chop out a little of the front core support. I used some 3/8 fuel line to put on the sharp edges and zip tied them down. I also used some scrap hose to keep the cooler lines from getting cut.

Got everything tight. Ready for a test drive this week.

Duals installed

Fluids added and buttoned up

Nearly completed transmission tunnel cover

The base that the above panel will mount on

Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Default 4xInno Roll Cage

April 2013

I had Brave Motorsports install my cage due to time constraints. Dave did an awesome job!

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 10-04-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Default Wheeling May 2013

Time for Jambo again In Gilmer TX 2013.

Weather was awesome. Saturday was the mid 60's and breezy.

We hit some Pretty good stuff: Twister about 3 times, the backside where Jason flopped a few years ago. Going down JP Expressway was awesome. I got back at Whatever from last year with some guidance from Jason. Shake Rattle and Roll was good fun. Clydes Ravine was good as usual. Did all the regular stuff mainly. Saw an FJ break a tierod in Twister. I did the rock garden for the first time.

I won some 5/16 x 100 Firewire Synthetic winch line.

Carnage included my cell phone, a little body damage, A TC leak and driveline rattle.

Going to look at that stuff this week.

some pics

Rock Garden Pics

The rest of mine are on my camera at home

FJ that was stuck in twister

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Randy on Shake Rattle and Roll

Ended up toasting another rear diff. Skinny peddle strikes again!!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Finally got this 99% done. Just need to seal it up a little better by the twin sticks.

Picked up my 3rd from Joe earlier this week after he had a look over it..

I had him check it out due to the fact I let a friend have my TC flange after he destroyed his rear end and after I put the new flange on It didn't feel right to me. So I sent it to the expert. He also threw in a tube of Toyota FIPG for the install.

I got the fresh 3rd member with the G2 5.29's and Detroit in and sealed up.

I painted both the rear calipers since I overlooked that when I did the rear disc brakes. Its not the best but it is better than rust.

October 2013

I have a drivable truck now after about 4 months. Just need to add oil to the rear diff. I let the FIPG set over night.

I wanted to post this pic. I installed my rear driveshaft while the rear tires were still ever so slightly off the ground. This made the install a 1000 times easier due to the fact that you could rotate the DS (w/ the TC in Neutral) to get all the DS bolts tightened in an easy to reach position. I dont know why I never did that in the first place

Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM

November 2013

Installed my ARP hub studs today. Fairly easy thing to do. Added 2 new outer c-clips on the Birfs while I was at it. I finally replaced a twisted off bolt on the drivers side lockout. Its been bugging me for a while now. I also cleaned up my front shock with a buffing wheel and cleaned/degreased my front brakes.

completed

shiny shocks, turned out better than I originally intended.